Knock, knock

Alex has a new hobby: knocking on everything in sight. He loves the sound different materials make when he knocks on them. He particularly likes to knock on his bedroom door. He crawls to the open door, knocks on the wall next to the door, knocks on the door, then starts to close to the door. He usually opens the door a bit, peeks his head out, then closes the door and begins knocking again. It’s really cute, unless I’m outside his room and can’t get back in because he’s behind the door.

Speaking of Alex, I just uploaded new photos to the July 08 album on Picasa. Here’s one of my favorite of the new photos:

Week 6 of my new workout plan was an utter failure (but I did find out that I’ve lost 1 pound. Whee!) My right knee was still sore Monday, so I didn’t ride. On Tuesday afternoon, my left leg (the one I broke sledding six years ago) started to hurt quite a bit. In fact, it felt as if I had broken it again. It even hurt to walk. By Thursday, it was miraculously better, but I spent that evening helping Stefanie get ready for her trip and loading the car. Friday was a bust because Stefanie left for her trip to Chicago.

We dropped her off at the airport at 7 a.m. Friday. Then Alex and I went to Powells, where I sold $80 worth of books and spent all of it plus $6. That gave me a chance to try out an Ergo baby carrier that a friend of Stefanie’s loaned us. I mostly liked it, but when Alex was ready to go he started poking me in the adam’s apple. Talk about motivation to hurry up. After Powells, we drove to my favorite music store, Millenium Music, in Northeast Portland. Alex promptly fell asleep, and I just wandered around and tried out all of the stores listening stations. Found some good stuff, but we are still po’ so I didn’t buy anything.

We had planned to meet my friends Spike and Dan for lunch at Oregon Brewers Festival at the waterfront park in Portland, but when Alex woke up he was hungry and they had just left Salem. Plus we were running short on diapers, and I had forgotten Alex’s sunscreen. Doh. So we stopped for lunch at Burgerville and headed home. Alex fussed a little in the afternoon before and after our nap, but other than that he was happy.

I worried about Alex last night — it was the first night that Stefanie wasn’t there to feed Alex during the night or first thing the next morning. To protect my sanity, I started over with the “cry it out” method Stefanie found in a book. Alex woke up around 10 p.m., right when I was headed to bed, and we played the “cry it out” game until about 10:30. Then we both went to sleep.

He woke up at 11:40 p.m. and cried for about 5 minutes before falling asleep until 5 a.m. I fed him at 5 a.m. and put him back in his crib, and he alternately cried and slept until 6:15 a.m., when I got up and made us both breakfast. Not a bad first night, but we still have another night on our own. Wish me luck.


~ by amarvin on Saturday, July 26, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: