No Post Wednesday; making up for it today

No post yesterday. Only the second time this month. Sorry about that. It was a crazy day:

* Stefanie, Alex and Teresa got home around 2 p.m. or so after waiting until 11 a.m. for the mechanics in Grants Pass to finish replacing the radiator and hoses. Stefanie posted a blog entry on, a site she manages for the Statesman Journal newspaper.

* Yesterday was Andrew’s 15th birthday. Stefanie and Teresa took him for ice cream after we all met for dinner at Thai Beer, Andrew’s (and our) favorite Thai restaurant in Salem. I tried something different: fried rice with chicken, shrimp, pineapple, raisins, cashews, bell peppers, onions and cilantro. It was fan-freaking-tastic. Best Thai dish I have ever had.

* Work was surreal. When I arrived, the top two administrators stopped me to update me on all the news. One of our co-workers and friends, who was fighting flu-like symptoms late last week, apparently was in the intensive care unit at Salem Hospital. Doctors don’t know what to do. Wednesday morning, another co-worker, who works closely with that woman, called in sick with flu-like symptoms. Then my supervisor in the tech office called in sick with nausea. Turns out it was just a coincidence, but they took the possibility of an airborne virus seriously (and good for them despite the media storm it created) and shut down our wing of the courthouse. I worked out of an unused cubicle all day, and I was on my own most of the day since my supervisor was ill. It was super-busy, of course. The Portland TV stations got word of the “health scare” and were still covering it this morning (Channel 6 got some facts wrong). It also made the front page of the Statesman Journal. Again, there wasn’t any sort of contamination. No additional news on our friend in the hospital; she is still in ICU, and we are there with her in spirit.

* Last night was the first time I have been able to spend with Alex since everyone left for the Southern California trip 10 days ago. In the time Alex was gone, he has become even more aware. He sticks out his tongue now, studies his hands and can even buzz his lips a little. He’s also a LOT louder when he babbles, and he babbles a lot more. He gained some weight, but he’s still small for his age. Feels like I haven’t seen him in months. I went straight to him tonight after work while Stefanie, Teresa and Andrew went shopping for birthday decorations for Andrew’s party (which is tomorrow).

On a somewhat-related note, I will be uploading photos from the California trip to Picasa tonight. But first, here are two photos for you to compare. The one on the left is of Alex, of course, and the one on the right is of me. My mom sent them to me last night. The similarities are almost eerie but entirely amazing and wonderful. Apparently he got my cute genes; I wonder where mine went?

~ by amarvin on Thursday, April 24, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: